Saturday, February 7, 2009

Being somewhere specific

A childhood lived out in several different states gave me few roots but many branches. My family-in-motion nurtured me with colorful and diverse experiences of Great Plains and Western American life. As an observer, I gained a useful sense of disconnection that persists to this day--a desire to write myself into being, through the regional, eccentric characters and stories that form my imagination.

Does a sense of place really matter?

Absolutely.

Where are you and where have you been? Tell me this, then tell me who you are and I will believe your story.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. As you know, I've been moving from place to place all over the country since I was very young. I think I share that sense of disconnection, and that feeling of being a disconnected observer much of the time.

    Looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete